[RESOLU] Sequencing children in Extended Family tab view??

coltoncameron

[RESOLU] Sequencing children in Extended Family tab view??

Post by coltoncameron » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:09 am

I have an ancestor that had 12 children by up to four relationships: 9 within marriage and three illegitimate by up to three unspecified father/s (same individual or different individuals not known).

In the Extended Family view the married partnership (in my view she only had one spouse!) is presented first horizontally with the children of the marriage presented below in order of birthdate as is expected.

The other three children linked to the mother and three different unknown fathers were born before the marriage but are presented to the right of the other children despite being older.

I presume the marriage date entry gives it a precedence in the sequence but how can I force them into the correct sequence?

I have tried to put something with a date in lieu of a marriage to try to force the sequence. The mother did not cohabit with any of the three fathers so I tried Unknown Status under Families - Status in Family View tab but it won't let me enter a corresponding date (am I missing something?).

In desperation I put a misc. event of 'conception' dated 9 months before birth but this did not force the priority so I deleted it.

I would like the woman's children in order of birth but how can I achieve this.

P.S. I would like an alternative to the word Spouse which I thing denotes a marital relationship.
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Memory: 4.0 GB
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6

Model name iPad Air 2
iOS 13.4

Admin edit : spam deleted
Last edited by coltoncameron on Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

mike

Re: [RESOLU] Sequencing children in Extended Family tab view??

Post by mike » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:15 am

You could add a father named like "UNKNOWN" to those illegitimate children and use "Person / Order of spouses" to place this dummy father ahead
Attachments
sort children.jpg
sort children.jpg (33.02 KiB) Viewed 76 times
Sincerely.
Mike

AuroraR8 : Intel Core i9-9900K 3,60 GHz - RAM 16 Go - SSD 1 To + RAID1 2 DD 1 To - Inverter 510 W
W10 Pro - Firefox - McAfee LiveSafe
Heredis EN + FR

billdog

Re: [RESOLU] Sequencing children in Extended Family tab view??

Post by billdog » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:56 pm

I overcame a similar problem with (Mac v2019) as follows:
I have direct female ancestor whose mother had three illegitimate children, fathers unknown, who then went on to marry and have several children in wedlock. I am descended from one of the illegitimate ones.

I created three putative fathers and called them:
UKNOWN_MALE1 (for the oldest/first sibling)
UKNOWN_MALE1/2 (for the middle child who my have the same father as child 1 - but perhaps not)
UKNOWN_MALE1/2/3 (for the younger sibling who may have shared a father with one or both of the older siblings-but perhaps not).
These were all individually linked to the mother by a modified Marriage event which I called 'Liaison' and each dated approximately 9 months before the associated births.

Hope this gives food for thought - but it should resolve your problem.
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Memory: 4.0 GB
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6

Model name iPad Air 2
iOS 13.4