My issues with Heredis...

kmac

My issues with Heredis...

Post by kmac » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:56 am

I have some problems with Heredis. I'm trying to work thru them because I see so much that I really like about this program and I'd like to make it my main program. But, I don't know if that will happen.....

I am coming to Heredis from Reunion. The way I've done my sources in Reunion is, if it's a source I will use again, such as a census, I make one citation for, say, the 1900 census with the basic info..... Title, originator of the census, and that it was on Ancestry.com where I found it. The particulars of the citation; location, ED, page, household, etc. all go into the Detail field.

In Heredis, that detail info for each citation appears in the Source Comment field. That part is fine with me. HOWEVER, those comments which contain a citation's detail, do NOT appear on reports. The basic source does, but not those pesky, little details. That will be a deal breaker for me.

There are a few things about Heredis that makes it not play nicely with my gedcom: No PUBL info. So, I edited the gedcom to change all PUBL to REPO.

Another issue for me: Heredis does not like people with no surname. I have many, many, (did I say many?) of those. No, I'm not a bad researcher, lol. But, most of my ancestry is from the Azores and Portugal. There, women rarely had a surname and kids were born and baptized with only a first name. Later, when they became an adult, they chose a surname to use. Yes, it is fun. :) Anyway, those unfortunate souls are not even shown in the Index. If there was no surname, Heredis just shows them as Unknown, but with NO given name, even though it was in the gedcom!

Anyway, enough whining. I really would like to use Heredis 2015. It's got some very intriguing tools I'd like to take advantage of. My hope is someone with more knowledge than I, will have an idea on how to fix these issues, if there is a fix.

Thank you!

Kathy

kmac

Re: My issues with Heredis...

Post by kmac » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:55 pm

OK. I can see where this is going ..... nowhere. I posted a week ago to say that, although I really do like Heredis 2015, I had some problems/issues with it. I asked if there was a fix. I have not received a single reply from tech support to acknowledge the problems I'm having, much less any solution to them so that I can begin to use the program. I really hate to be ignored! I spent my money on this program, hoping to be able to use it as it was intended. Heredis, I think you have very, VERY poor tech support. In my opinion, you have a fine program with some great tools, but when people like me need help and can't get any kind of response from you, it shows a total lack of regard for your customers. You like to get our money but that's as far as it goes. After that, we're on our own! I feel as if I have wasted my money buying Heredis!

Oh, and also, I posted a request for help on the Heredis 2015 Facebook page a week ago asking for contact info for tech support ...... no response. A heck of a way to run a company that largely depends on its customer base and word-of-mouth advertising to grow!

christinebsd
Site Admin

Post by christinebsd » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:57 pm

First point, I read your 2 messages posted on our forum, about PUBL section that is ignored by Heredis.
You are the only person who told us, but I discussed with our engineers for that information to be considered by a future correction software.
I was waiting to be sure before informing you ...

Second point, the software does not like to manage persons without family name, you can specify the name "Unknown" is better.
Christine
HEREDIS team

kmac

Post by kmac » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:52 pm

Christine..... Thank you for your response. I understand both points you made. For me, though, the major issue is the following part of my post that you did not address:

I am coming to Heredis from Reunion. The way I've done my sources in Reunion is, if it's a source I will use again, such as a census, I make one citation for, say, the 1900 census with the basic info..... Title, originator of the census, and that it was on Ancestry.com where I found it. The particulars of the citation; location, ED, page, household, etc. all go into the Detail field.

In Heredis, that detail info for each citation appears in the Source Comment field. That part is fine with me. HOWEVER, those comments which contain a citation's detail, do NOT appear on reports. The basic source does, but not those pesky, little details. That will be a deal breaker for me.

Is this feature how it is for Heredis and there is nothing to be done for it or is there a fix of some kind?

billdog

Post by billdog » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:01 pm

kmac,

I don't know if my method will satisfy you but n example of what I do is:
Entering Source
Source name: 1861 UK Census - Kings Bromley - William Dawkins
Document: RG9 1976 folio 54 pg 10

You could expand this more fully if you wished of course.
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Memory: 4.0 GB
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6

Model name iPad Air 2
iOS 13.4

kmac

Post by kmac » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:03 pm

Billdog

It seems that you are saying to enter the details into the document field? That would work for me,....... if I only used each source one time.

But, in my case, some sources, particularly Census sources, are used many times. The 1900 U.S. Census, for example is cited 268 times in my database! Each time, the basic source data is this:

1900 United States Federal Census, United States of America, Bureau of the Census; National Archives and Records Administration, 1900. T623, 1854 rolls., Ancestry.com online image.

Then, the source details for each use would be added to the Source Detail field that other genealogy programs use and it would include something like this for a family: T623, Washington Twp., Alameda Co., California, enumeration district (ED) 403, p. 15B, John Andrade household

So, that source detail field would be different each time I use that 1900 census source and that's why it appears that Heredis will not work for me or anyone else who does their sources in this way.

Thank you, though, for trying to help. I do appreciate it!

christinebsd
Site Admin

Post by christinebsd » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:51 am

If I understand your need, references of the common source may be this:
"1900 United States Federal Census, United States of America, Bureau of the Census; National Archives and Records Administration, 1900. T623, 1854 rolls., Ancestry.com online image".
..... and you can specify the information about a family in the "Note" field of the "Census" shared event :
Washington Twp., Alameda Co., California, enumeration district (ED) 403, p. 15B, John Andrade household
Christine
HEREDIS team

billdog

Post by billdog » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:55 am

Hello kmac,
I am suggesting entering the data in the source entry box entry fieldsx, so it would be referenced every time you use that source.

But, I haven't checked how it would appear in a report.
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Memory: 4.0 GB
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6

Model name iPad Air 2
iOS 13.4

kmac

Post by kmac » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:44 pm

BILLDOG wrote:Hello kmac,
I am suggesting entering the data in the source entry box entry fieldsx, so it would be referenced every time you use that source.

But, I haven't checked how it would appear in a report.
I'm sure that would probably appear as it should in reports, but it is not how I have always done my sources so would entail a huge amount of work. As of right now, I have used that detail field in my sources almost 2000 times! It would involve creating new sources to enter in those details foreach time a source was used. It makes my head ache just to think of it. Evidently it is that or not be able to use Heredis. I believe the cost is just too high for me but thank you for trying to help!

kmac

Post by kmac » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:09 pm

Christine wrote:If I understand your need, references of the common source may be this:
"1900 United States Federal Census, United States of America, Bureau of the Census; National Archives and Records Administration, 1900. T623, 1854 rolls., Ancestry.com online image".
..... and you can specify the information about a family in the "Note" field of the "Census" shared event :
Washington Twp., Alameda Co., California, enumeration district (ED) 403, p. 15B, John Andrade household
You are right. I could do that but it would be way too much work to switch over to that way of doing sources. I have used the Detail field almost 2000 times and I'd have a lot of new sources to create for most of those, excluding the shared events which would still need changing to adapt. I just don't think using Heredis is worth it to me to do all that work.

Perhaps, in its next major upgrade, Heredis would consider adding a Detail field to a source that could be changed when it was used in another instance and would work with importing gedcoms? ..... Or, I know in my importing a gedcom from both RootsMagic (under MacBridge) and Reunion that uses such a field, the data from the source Detail fields in those programs does import into the comments field of the Sources pane. If THAT data could be used in reports, that would be great!! As of now, it does not and therein lies the problem for me and others like me who have used that detail field in other programs. By the way, another major Mac program, Family Tree Maker 3, uses a similar field they call Citation Detail. So, three of the other top Mac genealogy program have incorporated this feature and deem it as being important. Heredis 2015 is a great program with many, many wonderful features and I really did want to use it as my main program. I don't mind making small changes to accomplish that, but redoing my sources is major so, regretfully, I won't be able to use it.

I do hope that your company will at least consider making these changes. It would help many more genealogists to move to your program so would greatly increase your customer base. Heredis has so much to offer!