My issues with Heredis...

mike-en

Re: My issues with Heredis...

Post by mike-en » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:18 pm

For the little I use Sources, and due to the very restrictive way Heredis implemented their citations, I use the Event Note for the citation information

The change should not be too difficult using a text editor on a Gedcom file ?
If you like, send me by Private Message an extract of a Gedcom export showing what you use to have in a citation
Cordialement.
Mike

using BSD softwares on PC
Do not give a man fish, teach him how to fish

billdog

Post by billdog » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:59 pm

Citation input has been a long standing contention. See: (the italicising below is mine done now):
Re: Sources & Citations
BILLDOG 02/07/15

Postby siliconlab on 23 May 2012, 15:17

Good Morning Mike,

Just suggesting it would be much easier to find. I hadn't used Heredis before the alpha, and some of these
functions being new were not a logical way in my mind. I understand where you as a user of previous releases are coming from. To me there seems to be a effort on the developers part to use the gear symbol as a way to identify options. If that is true, then why not continue with that logic and use it where there are options such as the search tab.

I'm not being critical of the +, we are beta testing and identifying functionality to future users is as important as any other items such as spelling and language problems. I respect your response, but as a serious genealogist i also think that Citations and Sources are as important as identifying a descendent by name, etc.. How you got that data will be very helpful to future generations.

Herb...

PS: I am not saying that these are not covered well. Sources is. Comments are not truly a way to report Citations.

PSS; I wasn't implying you or anyone else is not a seroius Genealogist.
iMac 27' (late 2012), 3tb hd, 32 gb Memory, MacBook Pro 15.4 (late 2011),500gb SSD, 1tb HHD, 16 gb memory, iPad 2 64gb WI-FI, iPhone 4S
Herb (siliconlab)
siliconlab

Re: Sources & Citations
Postby BILLDOG on 23 May 2012, 18:09

Silicilab,

I too have previously mentioned E. S. Mills' system in this forum. See my entry 18/Dec/11 - 'Source Data Entry'.
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Memory: 4 GB
Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

iPad Mini
iOS 10.7.3
BILLDOG

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Memory: 4.0 GB
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6

Model name iPad Air 2
iOS 13.4

kmac

Post by kmac » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:44 pm

Mike wrote:For the little I use Sources, and due to the very restrictive way Heredis implemented their citations, I use the Event Note for the citation information

The change should not be too difficult using a text editor on a Gedcom file ?
If you like, send me by Private Message an extract of a Gedcom export showing what you use to have in a citation
Thank you, Mike, for your kind offer. I agree that the change is not difficult .... but it is time consuming and labor intensive! I try to document ALL my research, if possible so the way citations are implemented is very important to me.

1) Reunion exports source details with the tag PAGE.
2) Heredis imports that as a Source Comment.
3) When you export a gedcom from Heredis, it puts that same data into a gedcom tag of 3 NOTE..... In 2 NOTE, is the "normal" note field for an event that shows in Heredis in the event Details as a Note.
4) It would be nice if that Source Comment (details) would appear as a Detail piece of info along with the main source info so you could reuse a source citation by simply attaching different details to it. Right now, it does not. So, when I create any report with Heredis, it will show, as an example,that the source is the 1900 U.S. Census, but not ANY of the important details I have recorded.

I believe as you stated that the way Heredis has designed their citations, is too restrictive. I can, as you suggested and with a LOT of work, use a text editor (Text Wrangler) to move the detail data to the event Note field .... (but that field usually contains other data in it such as how the household appeared in the census) and, although I could add that citation detail to that area, it's not a good solution. ALL of the source info needs to be viewed in one place so that it shows properly in reports.

I'm going to hold out for (hopefully) future improvements in Heredis.

mike-en

Post by mike-en » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:58 pm

kmac wrote: I can, as you suggested and with a LOT of work, use a text editor (Text Wrangler) to move the detail data to the event Note field .....
I don't think that it is a lot of work ... Can you send me anyway an example extracted from your Reunion Gedcom ?
Cordialement.
Mike

kmac

Post by kmac » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:03 pm

Mike .... I sent you a PM about this.

mike-en

Post by mike-en » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:30 am

kmac wrote:Mike .... I sent you a PM about this.
I proposed a solution .. :)
Cordialement.
Mike

marcirish

Post by marcirish » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:43 pm

Christine wrote:First point, I read your 2 messages posted on our forum, about PUBL section that is ignored by Heredis.
You are the only person who told us, but I discussed with our engineers for that information to be considered by a future correction software.
I was waiting to be sure before informing you ...

Second point, the software does not like to manage persons without family name, you can specify the name "Unknown" is better.
Christine,

I too have a problem with Heredis 2015 not handling the PUBL Gedcom tag. Please get your engineers to fix this or I will be unable to use Herds.

Marc Irish

mike-en

Post by mike-en » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:40 am

marcirish wrote:I too have a problem with Heredis 2015 not handling the PUBL Gedcom tag. Please get your engineers to fix this or I will be unable to use Herds.
I suppose you mean Heredis instead of Herds ? 8-)
There is no "Publisher" field defined for the Heredis files ...
However, the PC version places automatically the Publisher infos in the "Repository" field

While waiting for BSD to align the Mac version on the PC version (or better, add a Publisher field), I would suggest that the tags "PUBL" be changed to "REPO" in the Gedcom file
Cordialement.
Mike

denverdetective

Post by denverdetective » Sun May 29, 2016 1:25 pm

kmac wrote:
I try to document ALL my research, if possible so the way citations are implemented is very important to me.

1) Reunion exports source details with the tag PAGE.
2) Heredis imports that as a Source Comment.
3) When you export a gedcom from Heredis, it puts that same data into a gedcom tag of 3 NOTE..... In 2 NOTE, is the "normal" note field for an event that shows in Heredis in the event Details as a Note.
4) It would be nice if that Source Comment (details) would appear as a Detail piece of info along with the main source info so you could reuse a source citation by simply attaching different details to it. Right now, it does not. So, when I create any report with Heredis, it will show, as an example,that the source is the 1900 U.S. Census, but not ANY of the important details I have recorded.

I believe as you stated that the way Heredis has designed their citations, is too restrictive. I can, as you suggested and with a LOT of work, use a text editor (Text Wrangler) to move the detail data to the event Note field .... (but that field usually contains other data in it such as how the household appeared in the census) and, although I could add that citation detail to that area, it's not a good solution. ALL of the source info needs to be viewed in one place so that it shows properly in reports.

I'm going to hold out for (hopefully) future improvements in Heredis.
Same here. A source detail field would allow us to use the same "master source" for different citations. Most of the other major genealogy software programs implement this in some fashion.

While it's possible to enter source "detail" info as a comment, it doesn't show properly in reports, and doesn't meet genealogical standards.

Hoping this will be implemented in the next iteration of Heredis. That would make Heredis a good option for genealogists who wish to properly document their sources.