Ancestry access

paraf

Ancestry access

Post by paraf » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:30 pm

I am looking at the "trial" version of Heredis 2015 & would like to see the connection into Ancestry.
I cant find it - could someone please tell me how to interface between the 2.
thanks

dmossfritch

Re: Ancestry access

Post by dmossfritch » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:58 am

Good Day Paraf,

Could you please explain what you mean by "see the connection into Ancestry"? Do you mean searching Ancestry? Or, do you perhaps mean contributing a tree to Ancestry?

If you meant searching Ancestry, from Heredis select an individual you want to search Ancestry for records and Select the Search tab. The top half of the Search tab will display a timeline listing of all events for that person and other family member, for example their birth along with the births of siblings. The bottom half of the Search tab allows for searches (The Web Search tab) using the Search Location selector (picks which site you want to search).

If you mean contributing a tree to Ancestry, you will need to export a GEDCOM from Heredis (File > Export > GEDCOM). After you have the GEDCOM file, visit Ancestry and import your file there (Trees > Create & Manage Trees).

If you are perhaps expecting "Hints" to appear in Heredis, sorry but you will only find such a connection from a tree on Ancestry or through Family Tree Maker.
Denise Moss-Fritch

HP Envy Phoenix 860-180st desktop
(Intel Core i7-6800 processor, 6th Gen quad-core [4.00GHz], 32GB RAM)

HP Envy 17t Laptop
(Intel Core i7-6700HQ 6th Gen quad Core [2.60Ghz], 16GB RAM)

iPad (iOS 11.2.2)

paraf

Post by paraf » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:20 pm

Thank you Denise, I was looking for the search function & had only seen the online archives which does not have Ancestry. Now if I locate a document of interest on one of the sites with web search, is there an easy way to incorporate/copy it (in high resolution) & also go into a split screen mode within Heredis to transcribe the info into the appropriate fields & maybe copy a signature?
I see this for online archives but not for web searches - I am probably missing something as I dont know the program.
Is it generaly best to download a copy of the document (which is high res) rather than use capture?
Thanks Andre

dmossfritch

Post by dmossfritch » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:19 am

Comparing the Online Archives and Search Tab functions is difficult. First, I am not an expert with Heredis. Second, how each of us handles our researches will certainly differ, meaning some will prefer the Online Archives while other will prefer the Search Tab.

I prefer the Search Tab function, however I am an olds (well, probably 'ancient' researcher) having begun in the mid-1960s. That means I have a web browser open (typically half a dozen web browsers, each searching different online databases such as Ancestry, FamilySearch, Provincial Archives of New Brunswick, MyHeritage, and others as needed. Each site has its own download function to obtain high resolution copies of documents. When that is not possible, I have a screen capture application available (set so I can select a specific region of the screen). With a web browser open to a record find, it is easy to copy and paste information a document from a database to Heredis. Since I work from a web browser, there is no need for a 'split screen mode' within Heredis.

There are a few advantages to working from the Search Tab.
* Double-clicking a name in the Search list (left frame) changes the primary individual (on which you are searching), including the timeline display in the upper half of the Search Tab.
* The bottom half of the Search Tab offers space to record notes (Research Notes tab) and offers suggested sources (Sources tab) based upon your existing sources for the primary individual. .
* All searches you make for a primary individual are recorded (a research log) and can be printed (click Search History button at the right edge of the Web Search tab), or reviewed (double-click a search listed in the research log.
* Click the Options icon on the Web Search tab to open list of available web sites. From this Web Sites dialog you can add your own web sites to the search list.
Denise Moss-Fritch

HP Envy Phoenix 860-180st desktop
(Intel Core i7-6800 processor, 6th Gen quad-core [4.00GHz], 32GB RAM)

HP Envy 17t Laptop
(Intel Core i7-6700HQ 6th Gen quad Core [2.60Ghz], 16GB RAM)

iPad (iOS 11.2.2)