Issues Sharing on local network

veronique_heredis
Site Admin

Issues Sharing on local network

Post by veronique_heredis » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:32 am

If you have issues Sharing on local network, please check out the following procedure :

Requirements
On your main computer :
- You must have installed Heredis 2017 and have an updated version of the file you want to share.
- Heredis 2017 must only be launched once, indeed it must only appear once in the list of running applications in the task manager(Windows)/Force quit tab(Mac).
For Windows : launch the task manager
For Mac : Go to Apple menu > Force quit
- Check that the antivirus/firewall installed on your computer or embedded in your internet box does not block Heredis.

On the remote device/computer:
- Check that the remove device/computer and your main computer are connected to same Wifi network.
- If the remote device is a phone or a tablet, please disable the bluetooth
- Launch Heredis 2017 (only be launched once).
- If there already is a version of your file on your remote device/computer, you must delete it first before sharing your file.
- Stay on the home page and make sure the machine does not go into standby mode

Start sharing your file from the main computer
- File menu > Share on local network
- Select the remote device/computer and click Share
- On the remote device/computer, accept the request to share the file

Remarks :
On mobile applications (Android and iOS), you will not be automatically notified when your shared file is edited.
To receive the latest edited file on Mac or PC you must :
- On Android, tap Share on Local Network > Select the main computer (containing the latest version of the file) > tap Receive the file
- On iOS, tap Tools > Share on Local Network > Select the main computer (containing the latest version of the file) > tap Receive the file

However, if you have trouble using the Share on local network function, click on Post reply button and describ your problem.

trescrwn

Re: Issues Sharing on local network

Post by trescrwn » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:52 pm

Thanks a lot. I think it worked. Would it be better to set up a Homegroup network on Windows 10 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -to-finish and then open my tree on it? Or do I have to go through the procedure you explained every time I need to sync from my laptop to desktop? Thank you!

Hi,

No need to setup a Homegroup network on Windows, just connect your devices the same Wifi network, for example.

The procedure describe how to share between 2 devices and points to check before sharing.
You won't have to follow it each time you have to sync your file between your devices.

Regards,

Véronique
Daphne

trescrwn

Post by trescrwn » Sat May 26, 2018 7:23 am

Thank you. I will try it.
Daphne
Daphne

richardhagley

Post by richardhagley » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:40 pm

I have 2 ipads and one i-phone. Everytime i try to receive file from my pc, i get "A transfer error occured". I have tried on different wireless networks, disconnecting bluetooth and nothing works.
If i try using USB, there is no attached device in Heredis, however the PC recognises it and will allow communication.

is this a corrupt Heredis - I am using ver 17.4 on the PC?

trescrwn

Post by trescrwn » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:35 pm

Never did work and I am still getting error messages whenever I save. Most of the time nothing saves. Time to find a new genealogy software program before my data becomes corrupted.
Daphne