Sources

ricklach

Sources

Post by ricklach » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:30 am

The creation of a source seems to be quite straight forward. However, suppose you create a source for a parish register and you have multiple persons that you want to associate with that parish source. Some of the information is constant (example parish name and place) but other information is variable like the year, page, notes, and type of entry (baptism, marriage, death). Do you have to create a separate source for each individual church record because of the variable data? Based on my experience with other genealogy programs, your citation module seems to be a bit weak unless it is my failure to fully understand how it works. Can you enlighten me on this part of your product beyond what is in the help file?

billdog

Re: Sources

Post by billdog » Wed May 10, 2017 1:53 pm

Riklach,
Since no one at BSD (Heredis) appears to have responded to your March query Spotted by looking at unaswered queries which in an ideal world would be near zero neglecting obvious one that do not need a response).

As currently designed I believe you have to give each a discrete source. I label mine yr-event type-key person's name-location. It is frustrating to have to repeatedly fill in the same information. My pet frustration has always to add the corresponding date to census events every time I use it. The 1851 UK Census always needs the same date!
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Memory: 4.0 GB
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6

Model name iPad Air 2
iOS 13.4

veronique_heredis
Site Admin

Post by veronique_heredis » Thu May 11, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi,

First of all, I will apologize for this late response.

I will recommend you to create a generic source and just input the citation in the comments field (see screenshot below)

We are going to improve sources and citation in the next version of Heredis
citation.png
citation.png (142.48 KiB) Viewed 6238 times

reesjel

Post by reesjel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:09 am

Good to hear the next version of Heredis will have an improved citation section.
I want to start working towards the Evidence Explained (EE) standard this year https://www.evidenceexplained.com/

Is there anywhere we can see what new additions are in the pipeline for future Heredis updates and what the approximate timeline is?

dmossfritch

Post by dmossfritch » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:48 am

No guarantees, however you might take a look at the Heredis 2018 topic in the Coffee Corner list that was discussed in late 2017.
Denise Moss-Fritch

HP Envy Phoenix 860-180st desktop
(Intel Core i7-6800 processor, 6th Gen quad-core [4.00GHz], 32GB RAM)

HP Envy 17t Laptop
(Intel Core i7-6700HQ 6th Gen quad Core [2.60Ghz], 16GB RAM)

iPad (iOS 11.2.2)