Handling Adoptions

dangerous48

Handling Adoptions

Post by dangerous48 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:46 am

Hi
I am new to Heredis, after using Reunion10 & Rootsmagic. It seems that adoptions are handled quite differently within the different software.
I was adopted at birth but didn't find out until I was 40. So I have 2 separate families. I have built up both over time in my family tree and have 2 different entries for myself. When I imported my tree into Heredis, both records came across, although names transposed, but as unrelated records, and most of the information recorded showing against my birth name. I have attempted to rectify this with both records, using the links to identify blood parents & adopted parents plus linking my 2 records as "duplicate".
I am not happy with this solution and seek advice on how best to handle adoptions. There appears to be no reference to this subject in the user manual.
Thanks & regards
Dave

mike-en

Re: Handling Adoptions

Post by mike-en » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:24 am

This subject is recurring regularly on the fora without ending with something completely acceptable ...
Have you found a satisfactory presentation with your previous softwares ? And if so could you expand a little the pros and cons ?
Cordialement.
Mike

using BSD softwares on PC
Do not give a man fish, teach him how to fish

dangerous48

Post by dangerous48 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:01 am

Thanks for your reply, Mike.
Rootsmagic has an event for Adoption and allows you specify an Alternate Name plus more than one pair of parents, detailing whether it is blood or adoption. The Alternate Name does show in the name index along with the actual name. In the GEDCOM file generated by Rootsmagic, both names are listed, one after the other, which appears to have resulted in Heredis assuming 2 people with all the keep attributes being set against the person generated from the Alternate Name.
Is there a Alternate Name equivalent in Heredis? I did read somewhere to use the Suffix field to store the Alternate Name but the problem is that one of the families is displayed depending on how that one person is set up.
Thanks & regards
Dave

froglamp

Post by froglamp » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:32 am

Family Tree Maker 3.1 has the ability to change parents under the person's "relationships" tab. Is there something similar in Heredis? I have the same problem for my grandfather.

mike-en

Post by mike-en » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:28 am

If someone feels like translating it, I have described a while ago the way I handle these situations with Heredis PC ... (this is not THE way, it is MY way)
http://www.heredis.com/forums/fr/viewto ... tar#p29087
Cordialement.
Mike

using BSD softwares on PC
Do not give a man fish, teach him how to fish