Heredis Demo Fails on GEDCOM import [fixed]

A question when using your software, an installation problem, a function that seems to be non-existent... Ask all your questions about your version here ... we will answer!
* Please try to be as specific as possible.
wbb15202

Heredis Demo Fails on GEDCOM import [fixed]

Post by wbb15202 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:54 am

I am trying out the new version of Heredis and each time I try to import a small GEDCOM file (37 people) it fails. I tried opening the GEDCOM several times and going through the routine of selecting the options or ignoring them. Then I created a new Heredis file and imported the GEDCOM. Both ways failed. :x

The GEDCOM was exported from Legacy 9. I'm looking to find better software because Legacy is slow and based on outdated software, and lacks features that I need.

I read the instructions on your website for importing and it still does not work. How do I import a file? I wanted to purchase the new version, but won't if I cannot import a GEDCOM file. What's the secret for importing? I have attached a screenshot of the error message.

Thank you.
Attachments
2018-02-16 (3).png
2018-02-16 (3).png (278.6 KiB) Viewed 2888 times

mike

Re: Heredis Demo Fails on GEDCOM import

Post by mike » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:16 am

Would you zip and attach this Gedcom file to your next message ?
Sincerely.
Mike

AuroraR8 : Intel Core i9-9900K 3,60 GHz - RAM 16 Go - SSD 1 To + RAID1 2 DD 1 To - Inverter 510 W
W10 Pro - Firefox - McAfee LiveSafe
Heredis EN + FR

wbb15202

Post by wbb15202 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:28 pm

I got it to work with another GEDCOM that was exported from Legacy for PAF and it worked. I don't know why it didn't work with the other file that was for use with any other software. I tried to repost that I got it to work, but this website wouldn't let me. It was an endless loop that kept asking me to log in and when I did it would only take me back to the main list. They need to fix this.

I decided not to purchase Heredis because it didn't have a feature I was looking for that I thought it had and it made a mess of the GEDCOM I imported so there would be too much cleanup for a file with nearly six thousand people in it. It took me ten years to clean up an export from Family Tree Maker to Legacy in GEDCOM format. It has to be GEDCOM or PAF. These software companies need to get over GEDCOM. It's a lousy way to get data from one program to another, but the makers of Legacy are living in Access 2000 days.

I had to create a new GEDCOM because the others were deleted. I tested this new export and it didn't work either so it has the same problem.

Thank you for the response.
Last edited by wbb15202 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike

Post by mike » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:56 pm

Opening this Gedcom file with Heredis18.3 went to a normal end ... !

Heredis2018.3 World is available for trial at https://www.heredis.com/en/support/lear ... r/#patches
Sincerely.
Mike

AuroraR8 : Intel Core i9-9900K 3,60 GHz - RAM 16 Go - SSD 1 To + RAID1 2 DD 1 To - Inverter 510 W
W10 Pro - Firefox - McAfee LiveSafe
Heredis EN + FR

wbb15202

Post by wbb15202 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:29 pm

What is Heredis World? I never heard of it. Is that the UK version? It won't do me any good if it's in French. I guess you don't have the US version so using a different version isn't going to do any good if it's in another language which I understand the UK version is.

I'm not interested in another trial if this version can't read a GEDCOM. Exporting to a GEDCOM for PAF is probably why it created such a mess in Heredis. The PAF imported GEDCOM told me enough that this software isn't for me. Too much clean up. I guess I'm stuck with Legacy for a while.

I'll pass on Heredis. I'm looking for genealogy software that has a feature that Family Tree Maker seems to only have where we can go to one place to link up and correct source citations and it updates for everybody who is connected to that citation. I have seen product pages where they claim they have it then when I bought them I found out they didn't have it.

FTM must own the patent on it because none of the other software have it and I tried all of the ones that have trials. From Heredis' product description I thought they had it until I looked closer and realized I misunderstood their claim. I don't like the way their software handles sources and citations anyway. It is too much work and similar to the antiquated way Legacy handles them where we have to copy and paste to everybody individually. If we have to make corrections, which I have had to do for hundreds of names, it is a nightmare and when exported to a GEDCOM it creates many duplicates that have to be merged, deleted or I have to manually relink them.

I would go back to FTM but the software crashes all the time and they haven't made any significant changes in it since the 2009 version and it has limited reports. Legacy has a lot of good reports, but is stuck in 32-bit running on Access 2000 which is why it is so slow.

Thanks for checking.

ddgenealogie

Post by ddgenealogie » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi,
there is not a secret to import a GEDCOM file from the main Heredis window.
Be sure that your file has a .ged extension as in the pic on the attachment.

Regards
Attachments
pic_gedcom_export_ex.png
pic_gedcom_export_ex.png (325.55 KiB) Viewed 2874 times

wbb15202

Post by wbb15202 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:11 pm

Problems replying again. There's something wrong with this website.

Thank you. It was one GEDCOM I exported from Legacy that would not load. I kept getting that error message I posted. I created another GEDCOM export only I selected the destination to be PAF which I never use and it accepted it. It could be a problem with Legacy because the latest version has issues that I've been trying to report, but their website wasn't cooperating yesterday. Sometimes I think it's this computer or Windows 10 updates which for me are very problematic.

Once inside the trial version of Heredic, I checked to see how the import went and it was a mess. This isn't a Heredic problem. I believe it's a Legacy problem because I tried this with two different genealogy programs and the same thing happened (RootsMagic 7 and Ancestral Quest 15) and they were paid-for versions. I don't use either of them because I received the same results. There would be too much clean up and like I said above I spent about ten years cleaning up my Legacy data because FTM made such a mess of it. I still haven't finished it.

GEDCOM is a terrible way to transfer to another program because it doesn't handle the conversion well unless it's a simple file with no sources. The sources and locations are the main things that do not transfer well and come with a lot of symbol characters mixed in with words that have to be removed later. Legacy creates duplicates because their citation system stinks. I have reported this to them and they say they can't fix it because they are using Microsoft Access 2000 for the software. They do have a great library of webinars that are very useful.

I think I need to work on cleaning up this data file or perhaps splitting it up so it will be easier to work with and import into something. I may come back to Heredis because there were some things about it I liked. I'm just not used to other programs making what should be simple a complicated process. I'm also getting up in years and don't have the patience or time to waste on learning another program. I was hoping somebody in my family would take this over and let them deal with the idiosyncrasies of fussy software.

I didn't mean for this to be so long.

wbb15202

Post by wbb15202 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:15 pm

mike wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:56 pm
Opening this Gedcom file with Heredis18.3 went to a normal end ... !

Heredis2018.3 World is available for trial at https://www.heredis.com/en/support/lear ... r/#patches
I went to your link and it's a list of patches for the software. Since I'm using a demo I doubt it will update it and the demo could already be the most current version. I can try it anyway, but I think my data file needs some major work first. I've compressed it within Legacy since so maybe I can get a better GEDCOM export now.

UPDATE: I tried a new GEDCOM export from Legacy and it failed in the World version you suggested for me to try. There has to be something in my GEDCOM that is doing it because I tried importing the exact same GEDCOM into Ancestral Quest 15 and as it was checking the file there were over six thousand errors and counting before I cancelled it. The error numbers were flying faster than the people numbers so there's obviously something wrong with the data. Coming from Legacy I'm not surprised.

bsherida

Post by bsherida » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:04 pm

I bought 2018 and have not been able to get it to import a gedcom. Is there a fix for this?

I downloaded the program from the link given above. It still says: "Cannot export file". I tried IMPORTING file. Still does not work.
At least I can post here now.

Sheri

wbb15202

Post by wbb15202 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:57 pm

I am having a lot of problems with this website too. It wouldn't accept my login so I had to create a new password. The last one was created three days ago. This website has other issues as well.

I successfully imported a Legacy data file (not GEDCOM) into RootsMagic 7 which I never use and the import was successful. I don't know what's wrong with Heredis. Obviously it isn't my data after all.