Posting status of person as dead when date unknown

A question when using your software, an installation problem, a function that seems to be non-existent... Ask all your questions about your version here ... we will answer!
* Please try to be as specific as possible.
sathomas

Posting status of person as dead when date unknown

Post by sathomas » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:36 pm

I am a newbie, so I apologize for such a basic question. I am building an extended family tree. I know certain individuals are dead, but I do not know the date of their death. Is there some field I can access that shows that the person's status is dead? Is there some sort of color coding or other visual cue that can be triggered by a status of dead versus alive? Any thoughts are welcome.

wwcatman

Re: Posting status of person as dead when date unknown

Post by wwcatman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:20 am

As far as I know the only way of doing it is to a "Death" event and then specify an approximate date.

If I remember correctly, you can mention as date of death things like:

< 23/06/1895 (Meaning the person has died before 23 june 1895).
> 23/06/1895 (person has died after 23 june 1895).

What I do is use whatever information is available and then use this relative dates.

For example, if I know from some document that a person was alive on a given date (he was witness in a wedding, had a chiled, signed a contract, whatever), I know he must have died after that date.

In some other documents, I found that a person was already dead by a given date, then I know he must have died before that date.

You can also specify a range of dates for the "Death" event if you know it happened, for example some time between 1895 and 1897.

In page 217 of the manual, you will find more information about how to specify ranges of dates:

https://help.heredis.com/wp-content/upl ... nglish.pdf

I realise that this is not exactly what you were asking for but I hope that it will be useful somehow to archieve what you are aiming at.

Daniel