Alphabetic sorting for non-French names

wwcatman

Alphabetic sorting for non-French names

Post by wwcatman » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:15 am

Dear all,

I noticed a strange behaviour in the sorting of surnames in the Surnames indexes.

The word "de" is ignored in the sorting but othe prepositions are not ignored.

This causes bit of mess in the sorting of my surnames. For example:

Alcázar
de Alcazar
Alegre
Carretero
del Alcazar

As you see "de Alcazar" is sorted in the "A" (which is correct) but "del Alcazar" is sorted in the "D", after "Carretero".

I am assuminng that Heredis recognises "de" as a preposition to be ignored because it is a French application but it does not recognise surnames from other languages.

Is it possible to customise the list of prepositions to be ignored? Is it possible to specify somewhow that "del Alcazar" should be sorted in the "A"?

Daniel

wwcatman

Re: Alphabetic sorting for non-French names

Post by wwcatman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:59 am

OK, sorted! Thanks, Mike!

mike

Post by mike » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:40 pm

wwcatman wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:59 am
You have a client … :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4630&p=12401#p12401
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4817&p=12402#p12402

8-)
Regards.
Mike

- Desktop, 3,6 Ghz, 16 Go RAM, 2x26''=1920x2400 Screen, 1 To SSD + 2x1 To HDD RAID1, Windows 10 Pro(64)
- Laptop, Windows 10 Family (64)

wwcatman

Post by wwcatman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:35 pm

mike wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:40 pm
wwcatman wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:59 am
You have a client … :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4630&p=12401#p12401
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4817&p=12402#p12402

8-)
:D :D That's actually me as well. I have two Heredis accounts: The one which I used to buy the software and this one which I created for the forums. I think that there was a time when the account in Heredis shop would not work for forums and I still have two accounts since them.

Daniel

wwcatman

Post by wwcatman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:05 pm

In case anybody else is suffering from this issue, I will explain in more detail how I fixed it in my Heredis database.

Warning and disclaimer: the steps below involve working directly with the Heredis file with a database program and certain level of technical knoweldge is expected. If you don't feel confortable don't do what I did. When doing so, you may change by accident the data in the file in a way that Heredis could not understand you might not be able to open your file with Heredis again.

I am not affiliated with Heredis. I am just an Heredis user. This is not an official recommendation.

Always make a backup before trying something like this. Make sure that your backup works before making changes.

Background of the problem

Heredis has a list of "particles" which should be ignored for sorting. These particles are the following: "de, van, d', von, of" I suppose these are incvluded because they must be most common particles that genealogists in the French speaking areas (I am thinking of France, Canada, Belgium and Switzerland).

The PRO verison of Heredis (available only in French) allows the user to add their own particles (for Spanish "del" or "y" should also be inclued). Unfortunately, the International (English) version of Heredis does not include this feature to manage the particles and the users cannot change the default particles.

Workaround
Because these particles are stored in the Heredis file, (which uses the standard database format SQLite), you can edit directly the Heredis file and add your own custom particles.

Here's how to do it:

0) Make a backup copy of your Heredis file.
1) Download and install and SQLite tool. I use SQLite Browser (https://sqlitebrowser.org).
2) Launch SQLite Browser and open your Heredis file.
3) In the SQL Lite Browser, switch to the "Browse Data" tab and select the table called "Preferences"
4) Scroll to the right, until you see a column called "Particles", which has the values "de ,van ,d' ,von ,of"
NOTE that there is a blank space before each comma but no blank space after the last particle.
5) Add the particles that you need and click "Apply".
6) Close the SQLite Browser, saving the file when you are asked if you want to save.
7) Open your database in Heredis. Your preferences about the new particles will be applied for new surnames. For existing surnames, go to the of surnames index and "edit" any surname which has one of the particles that you added. Even if you don't make any changes, the particle will now be ignored for sorting. :)

I hope this is somehow useful!

Daniel