Creating sources in Heredis - best practices

dgarciamagarinos

Creating sources in Heredis - best practices

Post by dgarciamagarinos » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:46 pm

Hiya,

I would have a question about creating sources in Heredis. It is not about the technical steps, that I know, but about the best practices for creating and managing the sources.

My main difficulty when creating a source are the fields "Source name" (also called "Title" in the source index) and the "Document" field. How do you use them?

In my case I tend to end up putting the same information in both fields in many cases:
If I have a Babtism Inscription, I would use the following:
Source name: "Inscription of baptism of John Smith"
Document: "Inscription of baptism of John Smith"

I don't think this is that useful and I would be interested to know how you do it in your databases. The Heredis help do explain this clearly. I guess their idea is that users can decide what works best.

I have made a bit of research in the French forums and I saw that Heredis users tend to use these fields in two main ways:

Option a:
Source name: Inscription of baptism of John Smith (a kind of "document name")
Document: Full inscription including withnesses (a kind of description of the type of document).

Option b:
Source name: Baptims records from Saint Johns Church - 1800-1900 (this would be kind of the section in the repository where the original document is stored, like the fond or the series).
Document: Inscription of batism of John Smith (the name of the document that contains the informatioin).

Thinking about it, I like Option B because it allows me to trace the citations to the document and then to the fond (or series) and then to the Repository where the original document is located.

However, before going and changing my sources, I would love to here from other users and see how you do it.

Sorry for the long post. If you feel like reading (in French), I found these two blog entries interesting:

http://www.chroniquesdantan.com/organis ... experience

https://darverne-et-darmorique.blogspot ... luent.html

I realise there is no single correct answer but before reinventing the wheel, I'd love to hear other people's experiences.

Thanks!

Daniel

PS. By the way, i was wondering about the difference between "Repository" and "Archive" in the "New source" form but I have seen in the help "Archive" is supposed to be a reference to our internal storage system and "Repository" is the archive where the original document is located.

mimalo35

Re: Creating sources in Heredis - best practices

Post by mimalo35 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:03 pm

Deleted message - The proposed solution that does not meet the standard
Last edited by mimalo35 on Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD Phénom II X6-3,20 Ghz-SSD Corsair 180 Gb-12 Gb Ram
Windows 10 Pro-Version 2004-19041.264-WFE 120.2202.130.0
Galaxy Tab S3-Android 9-One UI 1.1
Pixel 3 XL-Android 10-QQ3A.200605.001
Heredis for Windows 20.2 Pro
Heredis for Android 2020.81

mike

Post by mike » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:08 pm

mimalo35 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:03 pm
Personally I made this choice.
In the case you would share all or part of your file, the recipient would have quite a work to put your data in conformance with the intent of the Gedcom standard 5.5/5.5.1 … :!:
Attachments
Gedcom standard 5-5.zip
(78.63 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Regards.
Mike

- Desktop, i7 3,6 Ghz, 16 Go RAM, W10 Pro(64)
- Laptop, W10 Family(64)

teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime

dgarciamagarinos

Post by dgarciamagarinos » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:33 pm

Dear both,

Mmm... I missed the message from mimalo35. I think it would have been interesting to know what it was if only to avoid using it. :)

Thanks for bringing the Gedcom standard into the discussion, Mike. I had not thought about it but it is actually quite important in case we use it for interoperability (which I do). I will have a look at it.

Daniel

dgarciamagarinos

Post by dgarciamagarinos » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:45 pm

Hiya,

I have exported my Heredis database to Gedcom to see how Heredis treats the "Source name" (AKA "Title") and the "Document" field and I noticed something interesting.

The "Document" field is exported to the Gedcom "TITL" field under the "SOURC" (Source) structure.

The "Source name" ("Title") field is exported to the "ABBR" field.

This is very counter intutitive to me because I had expected the opposite but it is also quite revealing. The Heredis developers seem to think that "Document" is supposed to be the full, official name of the Source and "Source name" (or "Title", depending on which Window you are) is supposed to be short abbreviated version of the source.

As I use Gedcom exports for online pulication, I think I will rather stick this approach (Document=full name / "Source name" (or "Title") = abbreviated name of the source.

At least in my case, both Heredis and The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding use these two fields in a consistent way. They show the Abbreviated form (the "Source name" or "Title") in the event's windows and the full form (Document) when you see the source details.

I wish this a bit clearer in the documentation but I am glad I found some logic in it. :)

Daniel

billdog

Post by billdog » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:09 pm

Why have two fields for the same information?
I have have (rightly or wrongly) used The Source name as what I have chosen to call it: i.e. 1856 baptism_ John Smith_ Cannock.
With the Document name I reference the specific (where I got the information from) : i.e. Cannock St Luke Baptism Register (& possibly the entry ref number).
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Memory: 4.0 GB
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6

Model name iPad Air 2
iOS 13.4

bradleyindc

Post by bradleyindc » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:51 pm

Evidence Explained by Elizabeth Shown Mills has become the go to guide (at least for Americans)

https://www.evidenceexplained.com

dgarciamagarinos

Post by dgarciamagarinos » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:30 am

Hi, Bradley,

Thanks for the pointer about the Evidence Explained book. Luckily it is available as ebook and I am wading through it.

Daniel