How to share files with iPad

kmac

How to share files with iPad

Post by kmac » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:58 pm

I have the current versions of Heredis 2020 for my Mac as well as my iPad. I know I should be able to share my file from my Mac to the iPad but I can't get the job done.

Both devices are on the same network. The iPad does not show up on my Mac's Heredis.

I connected my iPad to my Mac via USB but that didn't work either. It does not appear in the Mac window on Heredis.

I emailed myself a gedcom from my Mac. I was able to share that to Heredis iOS but the process of importing the gedcom fails at the same place, it seems. It says it is loading and analyzing the gedcom, but gets hung up and never completes. I let it keep trying for 2 hours, but no joy! I quit Heredis on my iPad and reopened it to see my family file is there but when I try to open it, it is totally empty.

I hope someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong because Heredis will be worthless to me if I can't share my data to my other devices.

Kathy

jeksa2

Re: How to share files with iPad

Post by jeksa2 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:40 am

Hi Kathy,

Do you have the family file open on the ipad when you try to sync?
John R Williams
iMac Mini, (Late 2014), i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB Drive, Mojave 10.14.5, Acer 32Inch Monitor
Mac Air, (Mid 2014), i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Drive, Mojave 10.14.5
Ipad (6th Gen), 128 GB
:D

kmac

Post by kmac » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:26 pm

Hi John

I have tried this ALL ways....opening one device before the other, etc. Nothing seems to work. I’m beginning to wonder if it is the WiFi network I am using? We are at an RV park using their WiFi which is less than satisfactory. I wrote to Heredis support but only got their generic reply letter with a link to a “helpful” document. It did not help. I will keep playing with this because I think Heredis has a lot to offer.

Thank you,
Kathy

jeksa2

Post by jeksa2 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:49 pm

Hi Again,

No i don't think it is your WIFI.

I just tried tonight and it now won't work for me to either my laptop or my iPad.

Looks like we will have to contact support.

I see there is also an update, but when l try to d/l it l just get an error message.

Cheers
John R Williams
iMac Mini, (Late 2014), i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB Drive, Mojave 10.14.5, Acer 32Inch Monitor
Mac Air, (Mid 2014), i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Drive, Mojave 10.14.5
Ipad (6th Gen), 128 GB
:D

kmac

Post by kmac » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:56 pm

Hi John

Well, I’m sorry that yours isn’t working properly either. Maybe this version wasn’t quite ready for Prime Time, lol. As I said, I did contact Support but only received a generic email which seemed to focus on making sure I had Heredis 2020 on my iPad and not an earlier version..... even though I clearly stated that in my email to them. It’s as if they don’t even read about your concerns but only take the time to react to things that aren’t pertinent based on your email to them.

Well, if you should make any progress with them, I would appreciate it if you would pass on the solution to me here. I’m not encouraged about getting any REAL help from Heredis.

Kathy

lert

Post by lert » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:40 pm

I also was having problems with sharing my file on the network. I solved it by going to Settings, Privacy & Permissions and then Firewall. It seems that connection was allowed on 2019 Heredis but not 2020. Once I added permission for the 2020 version, sharing works again.
Hopefully this helps someone else.

kmac

Post by kmac » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:02 am

lert wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:40 pm
I also was having problems with sharing my file on the network. I solved it by going to Settings, Privacy & Permissions and then Firewall. It seems that connection was allowed on 2019 Heredis but not 2020. Once I added permission for the 2020 version, sharing works again.
Hopefully this helps someone else.
That does sound like a solution ..... except I can't find these settings! Are they on the Mac or on the iPad? My firewall on my Mac is not on.

Thanks!