[fixed]Problem Syncing

kristina

[fixed]Problem Syncing

Post by kristina » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:49 pm

Hi -- hoping someone can help. I bought Heredis for PC on the day of its release, also downloading the ipad app. Each independently works fine, but I can't get the two to communicate during an i-tunes sync, despite having prepared the file as per the instruction manual and making sure the sync apps box is ticked. When instructing a sync in i-tunes nothing happens with the app, though all other categories are updated, and when instructing a sync through Heredis itself the ipad is recognised, but functionality doesn't move on from 'waiting for files to compare', though it accurately identifies which direction I'm going to want the sync to take place in, and recognizes the chosen heredis file on my PC. Passed it over to a friend to have a go, and they experienced the same thing. The latest versions of all software are successfully installed, including the Bonjour service. Don't know what to try next, and would be very grateful for any advice. (My operating system is Windows 7, 64-bit laptop) Kind regards, Kristina

mike-en

Re: Problem Syncing

Post by mike-en » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:21 pm

Cordialement.
Mike

using BSD softwares on PC
Do not give a man fish, teach him how to fish

kristina

Post by kristina » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:36 pm

Hello Mike, and thanks for your help. Unfortunately I've followed those instructions many times exactly without any luck. My portable device is recognised, but instead of realising it has never sync-ed before (in the right hand message column), it seems to be looking for changes to make to a file assumed to already exist on the portable, until the process times out and the latter switches itself off. I presume it's some kind of communication or settings problem? -- but have no idea how to fix it. Kind regards, Kristina

christinebsd
Site Admin

Post by christinebsd » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:58 pm

If the status "Waiting for connection" is displayed for several minutes, restart both computers.

if the problem still exists :

1. Check the firewall system. Remove and add Heredis in the allowed program list.
2. Check the rules allowing "Bonjour" software
3. restart Heredis.

Be sure you do not have two connections between your devices (wifi AND ethernet cable) : it can make interference. If necessary, remove the wifi or disconnect your cable.
Christine
HEREDIS team

kristina

Post by kristina » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:16 pm

Hi, Thanks again for trying to help. I'd tried all of the above before, but ran through that checklist again, still with no joy. I've now also re-installed Bonjour via repair in control panel, with no success -- the synch still bogs down in 'waiting for items to compare' after identifying & connecting with the portable device. Because it's never synched before, but no synch for the first time message has ever come up, I tried re-naming the Heredis family file so that it would appear as new, again with no change to the inability to move on from 'waiting for items to compare'. My internet service provider is AOL, if that makes any difference? It has periodic recognition issues (for example, the link to the Heredis tutorial video won't engage, as AOL thinks it's a text file). Kind regards, and thanks again, Kristina

kristina

Post by kristina » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:03 pm

Hello Christine and Mike, Thank you so much! When I opened Heredis today, it automatically offered an update -- this new installation fixed whatever had been causing my syncing issue, and everything worked perfectly, just as described in the manual. I'm very grateful to you both for your continued -- and now successful -- efforts to resolve my technical glitch. Best wishes, Kristina