BUG: Relationship Calculator

BUG: Relationship Calculator

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:05 pm

The Relationship Calculator was one of the big selling points for me purchasing this software and then upgrading to 2014.

As far as I can see it's pretty poor. I have a relative who is my first cousin, once removed - this makes sense to everybody as it's the standard and normal way of describing the relationship.

No, not in Heredis which seems to just give me "x is the niece of the maternal grandmother of y" - pretty useless and really, very disappointing. It also only goes in one direction - there's no reason why it can't go both ways - eg, x is the g-grandson of y, making y the great-grandmother of x.

I feel that this really needs sorting out as the much built-up upgrade is beginning to look like something of a let down.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

veronique_heredis
Site Admin

Re: Relationship Calculator

Post by veronique_heredis » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:17 pm

As far as I can see it's pretty poor. I have a relative who is my first cousin, once removed - this makes sense to everybody as it's the standard and normal way of describing the relationship.

No, not in Heredis which seems to just give me "x is the niece of the maternal grandmother ...
This relationship is mentionned just below common ancestors list. See the screenshot attached to this message
Attachments
FisrtCousins.PNG
FisrtCousins.PNG (64.09 KiB) Viewed 6286 times

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:54 pm

But only in one direction. If I calculate from me to my first cousin, I get that I am "the first cousin once removed" of her.

If I calculate from her then I get that she is "the niece of the maternal grandmother" of me.

I hope that I haven't missed anything - in all the years I've known her she's never been known as "the niece of my maternal grandmother" - surely there's a way to show the relationship from both sides?
Attachments
relationship.JPG
relationship.JPG (66.57 KiB) Viewed 6282 times

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:52 am

I assume that this design flaw is going to be over looked then.

Re: BUG: Relationship Calculator

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:18 am

Sill having problems with this - my relationship to my latest family addition is that she is:
The great-great-granddaughter of the great-uncle of my maternal grandfather
I to her am:
The great-great-grandson of the great-aunt of the paternal grandfather

I can translate this as "our g-g-grandparents were brother and sister" or as my previous family tree software puts it - we are 4th cousins.

Why does Heredis have to be different and, in this area, pretty useless - this was a big feature of the upgrade for me and I'm now thinking of abandoning Heredis completely. This would be a shame as it does have some other great features - just not enough it seems.

veronique_heredis
Site Admin

Post by veronique_heredis » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:44 pm

It seems that there is a problem with some cases in this function and we are currently working to correct it.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:46 pm

Is there an update on this please?

veronique_heredis
Site Admin

Post by veronique_heredis » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:14 am

In fact we have tested this function and the two qualifications of the relationship are correct even if they are described differently.

The algorithm implemented is adapted for both simple cases and complex ones. We will improve it in next developments of this function.

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:00 am

Any update on this - am reluctantly considering a change of software but would prefer to stay with Heredis if this can be resolved.
Thanks.

audrey_heredis
Site Admin

Post by audrey_heredis » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:09 pm

We have noted this bug. But we can't tell you when this bug will be fixed.
Thank you for your patience.