Married names

travelbag

Married names

Post by travelbag » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:00 am

Is there any way to create married names - at least for name index? Sometimes maiden surnames do not always come to mind quickly.

christinebsd
Site Admin

Re: Married names

Post by christinebsd » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:49 am

Even married, a woman never changes her surname, it's only a tradition to name her just like her husband ... but you can add her husband's surname in the "Suffix" field, if you like.
Christine
HEREDIS team

dmossfritch

Post by dmossfritch » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:52 pm

Christine wrote:Even married, a woman never changes her surname, it's only a tradition to name her just like her husband ...
Sorry, however your statement is not entirely accurate. In some countries, a woman's surname is changed, such that when searching through records one would be required to search for a woman using her 'married name', not 'maiden name'. That would be the case if searching through UK, Canadian, or USA census records for example.

In other countries, I believe French Canada, France, or Belgium are such examples, the use of her 'maiden name' continues for a woman after marriage.

However, even those examples have exceptions. For example, in the USA a woman attorney continues to be known by he 'maiden name' professionally so earlier clients can locate her in later years.

So, I would have to agree with Travelbag that both 'maiden name' and 'married name' for women should be added to the name index (if desired by the user) in Heredis.
Denise Moss-Fritch

HP Envy Phoenix 860-180st desktop
(Intel Core i7-6800 processor, 6th Gen quad-core [4.00GHz], 32GB RAM)

HP Envy 17t Laptop
(Intel Core i7-6700HQ 6th Gen quad Core [2.60Ghz], 16GB RAM)

iPad (iOS 11.2.2)

christinebsd
Site Admin

Post by christinebsd » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:39 pm

In the "Persons" search panel, you can already use an enhanced criteria and specify the spouse's surname.
Christine
HEREDIS team

dmossfritch

Post by dmossfritch » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:28 pm

Thank you Christine. I double checked the Heredis Help document and found Search tab listed on pages 6, 24, 54, and 65 and in the Appendix on pages 90 and 92. However, each of those references is very general without specific use/operation information for the Search tab. Did I miss some information on the use and operation of the Search tab?

Luckily I worked in the software industry for nearly three decades before retiring so guessed at the operation of the Search tab, although I probably missed many subtle features. I ran a few search tests (woman with maiden name, spouse with his full name, and a location) with mixed results. For example, Archives.com rejected any search (a specific location, not "All United States", was required), FindAGrave.com looked only for the 'maiden name', ignoring the spouse's surname as did Ancestry.com. Family Search returned "An unsupported character was entered into the search form. Please refine your search terms and retry the search."

After the initial searches from Heredis at those sites, if I changed search parameters at the sites those changes helped with secondary searches.

So, I still believe there is a reason multiple names for an individual (when available) should be included in the Person index. Further, might I suggest Heredis provide additional information about the operation and use of the Search tab, perhaps as a video?
Denise Moss-Fritch

HP Envy Phoenix 860-180st desktop
(Intel Core i7-6800 processor, 6th Gen quad-core [4.00GHz], 32GB RAM)

HP Envy 17t Laptop
(Intel Core i7-6700HQ 6th Gen quad Core [2.60Ghz], 16GB RAM)

iPad (iOS 11.2.2)