Feature request: Patronyms

goulooze

Feature request: Patronyms

Post by goulooze » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:52 am

I have an issue with where to enter patronyms in Heredis.
  1. I can't use the Given Name field, as it will clog up my Given Names Index with bogus names, as patronyms aren't given names.
  2. I can't use the Surname field, as I can't use it twice, in case someone has both a patronym and a surname. Also, it will mess up my Surname index with invalid surnames.
  3. I can't use Suffix, as that will append a patronym to the whole name, not the given name.
  4. I can't use Prefix, as that will put a patronym in front of the whole name, not just the surname.
  5. I can't use Title, as it is not really a title to begin with, and it is not really part of a name.
  6. I can't use Nickname, as it is not really a nickname to start with, and it will be displayed with AKA in front of it.
At the moment,I do use the Nickname field, as it at least has no connection to the Given name or Surname index. I enter both given names and patronym as a nickname, while entering only the given name in the Given name field. However, this means that I have to enter a person's given name twice.

There I have this request: Would you consider adding a Patronym field to Heredis?

As a side note: Both Prefix and Title are fields that can be used for what is basically the same information. The manual says for Prefix:
The Prefix is used to specify an attribute found often in an old act,
such as Lord, Sir, Reverend…, or in more recent documents, such
as Professor, Master, Doctor...
And for Title:
Indicate here any title of nobility or honorary title.
There is quite an overlap there.

mike-en

Re: Feature request: Patronyms

Post by mike-en » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:04 pm

Heredis developpers followed the Gedcom standard for their implementation and any private new tags would prohibit transfer of files between different genealogical software

You could check what the standard means about the different fields you are concerned with : http://www.fhug.org.uk/pushfile.php?fil ... /contents/
Cordialement.
Mike

using BSD softwares on PC
Do not give a man fish, teach him how to fish

goulooze

Re: Feature request: Patronyms

Post by goulooze » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:32 pm

Not quite true Mike, as there are a few fields in Heredis that don't correspond with GEDCOM tags, and subsequently aren't exported to GEDCOM ( i.e. Archieve field in sources), or that are exported with custom tags (i.e. _FIL for the Child Status field). My request isn't to misuse a GEDCOM tag, but to add a field in Heredis that holds information that could be vital to someone's research if it could be used in searches and reports.

Right now, I am misusing a field that is linked to a GEDCOM tag in order to correctly use specific Heredis functionality for names (auto complete, variants).