GEDCOM import completes without import any persons

mogulza

GEDCOM import completes without import any persons

Post by mogulza » Thu May 29, 2014 7:30 pm

Problem 1:

I am trying to import my a 5.6MB GEDCOM 5.5 file from FTM and the import dialog counts up to 21000 persons but the progress bars never get to the point where they are showing any progress. Heredis simply presents me with an empty HMW database i.e. no persons.

I then exported all of my grandfather's descendants (about 160 persons) from FTM and Heredis then imported them - green progress bars and all. This proves the there cannot be anything wrong with GED format created by the FTM export.

What is wrong with my 5.6MB file?

Problem 2:

Not all pictures were imported from my grandfather's GED file even though all my pictures exist in a single folder

Problem 3:

I then created a descendants chart for my grandfather but not all pictures are shown in the chart ... even though the pictures do exist on the "Person Data" page.

Problem 4:

For those pictures that are on the "Person Data" page but not on the Descendant Chart, if I click on the picture in the "Person Data" page, the editor does not show the picture !!!

Problem 5:

The Box and Generation spacing increase and decrease buttons do not work on the descendant chart

Useability issue:

The only way to select a person in the left hand list box is using the mouse. We should be able to use alphabetic keys to quickly select the first matching surname

Regards
Mike

mike-en

Re: GEDCOM import completes without import any persons

Post by mike-en » Fri May 30, 2014 3:52 am

mogulza wrote:The only way to select a person in the left hand list box is using the mouse. We should be able to use alphabetic keys to quickly select the first matching surname
a search.JPG
To select the desired Surname enter its first characters in the corresponding field ...
Cordialement.
Mike

using BSD softwares on PC
Do not give a man fish, teach him how to fish

mike-en

Post by mike-en » Fri May 30, 2014 3:56 am

mogulza wrote:The Box and Generation spacing increase and decrease buttons do not work on the descendant chart
Just verified with half a dozen of various descendant trees ; they do work for me ...
Cordialement.
Mike

mike-en

Post by mike-en » Fri May 30, 2014 4:27 am

mogulza wrote:I am trying to import my a 5.6MB GEDCOM 5.5 file from FTM and the import dialog counts up to 21000 persons but the progress bars never get to the point where they are showing any progress. Heredis simply presents me with an empty HMW database i.e. no persons.
Check your Private Mails ...
Cordialement.
Mike

mogulza

Post by mogulza » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:11 pm

mogulza wrote: The Box and Generation spacing increase and decrease buttons do not work on the descendant chart
mike responded: Just verified with half a dozen of various descendant trees ; they do work for me ...

Hi Mike ... I have since found out that they work if you have not made any changes to the default view of the chart. Once you change the default view i.e. centre they do not seem to work. Not to worry on this issue

mogulza

Post by mogulza » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:16 pm

Mike wrote:
mogulza wrote:The only way to select a person in the left hand list box is using the mouse. We should be able to use alphabetic keys to quickly select the first matching surname
a search.JPG
To select the desired Surname enter its first characters in the corresponding field ...
Hi Mike ... your suggestion does work ... to a point .... it provides a filtered view of the list as opposed to going to the first surname with the letter in an unfiltered list. Using your suggestion - you then have to delete your filter to get the whole list back again. However I do concede that it does provide for a method of getting to a person faster.

mogulza

Post by mogulza » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:17 pm

Mike wrote:
mogulza wrote:I am trying to import my a 5.6MB GEDCOM 5.5 file from FTM and the import dialog counts up to 21000 persons but the progress bars never get to the point where they are showing any progress. Heredis simply presents me with an empty HMW database i.e. no persons.
Check your Private Mails ...
Thanks !! Will send you GED file privately ....