Numbering of Persons

bluebeary

Numbering of Persons

Post by bluebeary » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:56 am

In a previous software program I used for many years, each individual was assigned a unique number within the database. Because of this, I named all individual photos assigned to persons in the database using their unique number. I for instance was person #0001 in my database. All photos of myself were named 0001.bmp, 0001a.bmp, 0001b.bmp, and so on.

Reviewing the Heredis file structure, I see that all photos have been moved into a "media" folder with each individual photo being included in a unique, numbered folder. My main photo, for instance (0001.bmp) is now in a folder numbered 8277 while my secondary photo (0001a.bmp) is in a folder numbered 8279.

I also note that with 588 photos in my database, the first Heredis photo folder is numbered 8277 while the last is numbered 34002. 34002 is a photo I took using my iPhone via the Heredis program. It automatically named the photo, created the folder into which it was stored and assigned it to the person selected in the Heredis program. An excellent system and I like it very much.

My question is, if I scan photos or receive them in a form other than taking them via Heredis, what naming convention would be best to use to ensure a unique and meaningful name is assigned to each? I'm not keen on the idea of using the persons name as there are many with the same name (I'm a Smith) and confusion would reign supreme! The database # has worked till now but that would appear to be no longer workable as I've searched the Heredis program and can't locate any numbers associated with each individual in the database. With almost 6000 names, I don't relish the idea of having to assign a User Number to each person manually. Is there a unique and permanent number already assigned to each person? Where would I find that number? Or, is there a way to have the system assign such a number to all persons in the database through some sort of batch command?

I also note that when viewing the media index, the source of the photos is the folder in which they were originally located. (my old genealogy program) If I delete that original folder, will me Heredis photos disappear or will they be drawn from the Heredis media folder?

Once I have this sorted out and understand how your media system works, I can work with the files I have and add new photos in the future.

Many thanks for any suggestions you can offer

Larry Smith

mike-en

Re: Numbering of Persons

Post by mike-en » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:25 am

1/
- Heredis has an internal numbering system where numbers are assigned sequentially to each object at the time they are generated ; objects are persons, events, medias, sources, unions, notes, names, locations, ...
- "34002" just means that this object (media) was the 34002nd object becoming known to Heredis for your file
- as this number assignment is intended only for Heredis internal use, there is no garantee that the assigned numbers would not change occasionaly

2/
- medias are not moved (cut/paste) to the Heredis "Media" sub-directory when attached to an objet but copied (copy/paste)
- Heredis keeps and allows reference to the addresses of the original files
- naming of the original files is not a concern for Heredis

3/
- the user should then keep the original files available and make sure that Heredis is informed of any change
- their is no better naming convention for those files
Cordialement.
Mike

using BSD softwares on PC
Do not give a man fish, teach him how to fish

bluebeary

Post by bluebeary » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:14 pm

Thank you for the explanation of how Heredis numbers items.

Is there a quick way to assign a unique and permanent user number to every person in the database?

mike-en

Post by mike-en » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:51 pm

Bluebeary wrote:Is there a quick way to assign a unique and permanent user number to every person in the database?
None that I know of ...
Cordialement.
Mike

using BSD softwares on PC
Do not give a man fish, teach him how to fish

billdog

Post by billdog » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:20 am

Bluebeary,

Following from on Mike's detailed response, and although this may not be helpful to your situation, I wanted to make sure that you were aware that Heredis (at least the aMc version does and I am assuming the Windows version is the same - too lazy to check) has the option to use Ahnentafel numbering of individuals. A search of the help manual should clarify.

Regards.
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Memory: 4.0 GB
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6

Model name iPad Air 2
iOS 13.4