Last patch 14.2

philipb1

Last patch 14.2

Post by philipb1 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:13 pm

The last patch 14.2 appears to have an installation bug when used on Windows 8.1. The bug occurred when setting up a new laptop using an Admin account. The installation went perfectly and Heredis 14.2 opened requesting the license key as is normal. The bug appears when a new non admin user account was subsequently set up: on opening Heredis 14.2 from within the new user account a new update notification for 14.2 appears, the reinstall takes place. When Heredis opens there is an error msg (sorry didn't note the error number) followed by a a request to enter the license key again. On both occasions the license was accepted.

mike-en

Re: Last patch 14.2

Post by mike-en » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:31 am

Maz wrote:followed by a a request to enter the license key again. On both occasions the license was accepted.
This is normal ; license is granted per user, not per system
Cordialement.
Mike

using BSD softwares on PC
Do not give a man fish, teach him how to fish

philipb1

Re: Last patch 14.2

Post by philipb1 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:07 pm

Mike wrote:
Maz wrote:followed by a a request to enter the license key again. On both occasions the license was accepted.
This is normal ; license is granted per user, not per system
Thank you for taking the time to comment Mike for several reasons I would beg to differ:

First the EULA clearly refers to the license being granted to a "unique home address" with installation on "one computer only" :
"One license only is granted for each unique home address (“address”). You are authorized to download and install the software on one computer only. users who have several computers (eg one independent computer, a laptop and a netbook), may download the software on three (3) maximum units at the same address."

Secondly a properly used Admin a/c should never be used for anything other than admin purposes and certainly never as everyday user a/c. Much software requires Admin privileges for installation and it is the first account opened setting up a new computer and subsequently used to:: partition, clean install software, set up a user a/c etc...

I have neither experienced this problem before installing Heredis on new pcs (I been a user of Heredis since version 7 with nearly as many pc's!) nor have I have encountered a dual licensing problem with any software installation either at home or at work, so I am far from convinced that it is normal practice :)