New Heredis for Windows

handimar

New Heredis for Windows

Post by handimar » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:43 am

Hi, I have waited patiently for the release of the new Heredis for PC. According to the Heredis website, it is due for realease today, July 4th. However, the download link does not work. Can you please confirm when this software will be available for download?

mike-en

Re: New Heredis for Windows

Post by mike-en » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:08 am

handimar wrote:... the download link does not work ...
yet ...
Cordialement.
Mike

using BSD softwares on PC
Do not give a man fish, teach him how to fish

handimar

Post by handimar » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:10 am

I will wait with my fingers crossed then! :) I am so looking forward to trying it out...

johnboy

Post by johnboy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:39 pm

I have just successfully loaded the demo version, and imported an existing gedcom. But what I really want to do is sync this with my iPad. When I hit the sync button, I get told I need the 'Bonjour Service' from Apple on my PC for this to work and get offered the option to install it. Clicking that option gets a message saying 'This is embarassing - we can't find what you're looking for'.

Any ideas?

mike-en

Post by mike-en » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:11 pm

johnboy wrote:I have just successfully loaded the demo version, and imported an existing gedcom. But what I really want to do is sync this with my iPad. When I hit the sync button, I get told I need the 'Bonjour Service' from Apple on my PC for this to work and get offered the option to install it. Clicking that option gets a message saying 'This is embarassing - we can't find what you're looking for'.

Any ideas?
I would suggest that you install "iTunes" (easy to find on Internet). This includes the "Bonjour service" and in addition you will have the capability to back-up the content of your iPad.
Cordialement.
Mike

dakreepy1

Post by dakreepy1 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:30 pm

hi, i'm getting the exact same error when trying to sync, asking me to install bonjour. I've had itunes installed on this machine for a very long time and mdnsresponder is also running, i even went and reinstalled itunes and bonjour print services too. i'm using win7 64 bit with the registered version of heredis for windows.

mike-en

Post by mike-en » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:27 pm

A silly question ... Have you installed on your iPad the Heredis for iOS (it is free) from the Apple Store ?
Cordialement.
Mike

dakreepy1

Post by dakreepy1 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:53 pm

yes I have, that's how i found out about the program in the first place. I also found a bug when syncing between ios devices. As soon as i attach an image on my ipad i can no longer sync, but that's for another topic.

Just tried reinstalling and rebooting, still saying the same thing regarding the bonjour service from apple.

strude86

[Noted] Re: New Heredis for Windows

Post by strude86 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:15 pm

I have downloaded the program (full) and have had some difficulty with the GEDCOM import, but believe I have that resolved.

I notice that the French abbreviation still comes through in some of my English applications. (notably, "days" in the summary box of life events)

Most importantly, though, is the application of dates. Standard practice in the United States, at least amongst professional genealogists, is to use date/month/year format, as in 5 July 2012. The default here is July 5 2012, lacking the separating comma of typical American-English language formats.

How can I formulate the date in the way I need them to appear? The help document is not indexed and I do not find its organization intuitive, and have been unable to find out how I may customize the materials.

Thanks.

David McDonald
Certified Genealogist (SM)*
President, Board for Certification of Genealogists (R)
Washington, DC

*"Certified Genealogist" and "CG" are service marks of the Board for Certification of Genealogists (R), Washington, DC, and are used by authorized associates following periodic, peer-reviewed competency evaluations. No. 452, renewed, expiring 19 April 2014.

strude86

Post by strude86 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:32 pm

And how is it that I can change my "root person"? The import has changed that person from my previous database/application.

Thanks.

Dave