[Noted] Maiden names ?

A question when using your software, an installation problem, a function that seems to be non-existent... Ask all your questions about your version here ... we will answer!
* Please try to be as specific as possible.
mcoquet

[Noted] Maiden names ?

Post by mcoquet » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi, the app seems great, however in which field can I please indicate the maiden name of married women ?

thanks !

daj

Re: Maiden names ?

Post by daj » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:02 pm

Surely you record the woman's name as her maiden name always.

Normally in genealogy you record

John Smith married Mary Jones

rather than John Smith married Mary Smith (and record maiden name Jones somewhere).

After all she was born Jones not Smith
David

crochelle

Post by crochelle » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:37 pm

I understand, in some other apps they give you a field first for the maiden name then the alternative last name. In Heredis, the last name will always be the maiden name for the respective persons who have opted to change their last name.
Good luck.
Mini Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 | Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | raphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB | Software OS X 10.9
iPhone 5 Build 6
iPad Air

"Life is a Mac and most people are starving to death!"

mcoquet

Post by mcoquet » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:22 pm

ok thanks all :-)

Sylvette

Post by Sylvette » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:21 am

When you enter data, click the Info + button on top of the screen. Additional fields appear. You can enter a Suffix for the name and type in maiden name or spouse name, as you want. Both names will be displayed on the navigation screens.
Sylvette
Heredis Team member

garylclemens

Post by garylclemens » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:01 pm

Based upon reading this information, it appears that using a GEDCOM file from another program will always drop the maiden name information?? That is what seems to have happened in looking at my data. I have used this same GEDCOM file to load into other IPAD genealogy software with no problems.. Thanks

Upon further review of the data, the GEDCOM load also dropped the first name of some but not all married women, lost their maiden name, and they are identified only by their married name with no first name associated.

kebek

Post by kebek » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:27 pm

You normally should use the maiden name for all married women instead of their married name for many reasons. You know every time their ancestors (from men branches). A woman married more than once, what name should you use ?... Also as the standard gedom is made, it does not know wich one you use.

Most of the BSD products are based on the maiden name. But you can set in the family name field both names if you want, I do not know you origin (US, Canada, or else) but it seems common to see both in Canada.

To my knoledge, Geni uses this format, this is uncommon, and the resalut is misleading !
1 NAME first middle /maiden/
2 GIVN first middle
2 SURN married

What is the format of the first name you loose ? do you have some particular characters ? do you see them into the gedcom file ?
Heredis 11, 12
Geneo
GenoPresse

garylclemens

Post by garylclemens » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:46 pm

All of the women in my database as stored with their maiden names if I know the maiden name. With the software that I use on my PC, if I enter marriage info it asks me if I want married name added to the record and the software does it. The women missing maiden name info are also missing first name info. All that shows up in heredis is the married name for the person, not even a first name for the person.

I do not know how to look in a GEDCOM file to answer your other question, but the info must be there as I used this exact same file to load another genealogy iPad application last night and all of the info was loaded correctly.

kebek

Post by kebek » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:46 am

Garylclemens wrote:... The women missing maiden name info are also missing first name info. All that shows up in heredis is the married name for the person, not even a first name for the person.

I do not know how to look in a GEDCOM file to answer your other question...
You can open it with any textfile reader.
Heredis 11, 12
Geneo
GenoPresse

garylclemens

Post by garylclemens » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:37 am

Please explain to me why I need to verify the data is there??? It is obviously in the GEDCOM File or the other program i loaded using the same exact data file would have been unable to load the correct information.

The GEDCOM file was created by TMG (the Master Genealogist) via a PC not a MAC. would that make any difference?

I am in the United States, does that make any difference in the GEDCOM format?