Surname field mandatory

You will be welcome to participate in the development of your software by posting your suggestions for future versions. Imagine new features or improvements.
* Please remember to mention which software you use.
mikkop71

Surname field mandatory

Post by mikkop71 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:53 pm

I am trying demo version of the program and now I am wondering if surname is mandatory field when entering person details and if it is possible to bypass that requirement.

jimbo

Re: Surname field mandatory

Post by jimbo » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:40 pm

Surname is a mandatory field.

Which case do you have where your person have no family name ?
Sorry for my English

1 PC - Ram 16 Go - 3,2 Ghz - Windows 10 64 bits
1 Mac Book Air - Ram 4 Go - 2.13 Ghz - OS X 10.10
1 iPad 2 - iOs 8.1.4

mikkop71

Post by mikkop71 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:05 am

In Finland there surname became mandatory in 1920, it was uncommon practice in the early 1800. Instead patronym was used very commonly before late 1800. Common practice is write patronym in firstname fields or separate patronym field not in surname field.

Therefore it would be very helpful if you could choose if field is mandatory or not.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:47 am

I move this topic in the Suggestion forum. BSD Concept (Heredis's editor) will certainly have a look on your request.
Sorry for my English

1 PC - Ram 16 Go - 3,2 Ghz - Windows 10 64 bits
1 Mac Book Air - Ram 4 Go - 2.13 Ghz - OS X 10.10
1 iPad 2 - iOs 8.1.4

kiwiblackie

Post by kiwiblackie » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:54 am

Hi,
I too, am another who would like to NOT have the Surname Mandatory, but optional.
My reasons are, that I am not using the program to create a family history of humans, but a Genealogical Corporate History of Railroads in North America, therefore No surname is required.
The same goes for a spouse, I would also love to see that as an option.

Many thanks - mostly I am happy with the software, and after trialing it for a few weeks have now purchased a registered copy.

Regards
Blackie ;)

grammy

Post by grammy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:07 pm

Occasionally I have a given name, but no surname (a man's wife and I only know the married name) and would like to record it without a surname.

bchristy

Post by bchristy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:42 am

I'd just like to add my support to this request. My mother-in-law's family is all from Indonesia, and many people there do NOT have a surname. I'm uncertain what to put in this field as a placeholder because the surname isn't unknown, it just doesn't exist.

billdog

Post by billdog » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:25 am

Grammy,
I get around this problem by entering UNKNOWN(HUSBANDS SURNAME).
You can ammend this if the wife’s name is later discovered.
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Memory: 4.0 GB
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6

Model name iPad Air 2
iOS 12.01

aeron

Post by aeron » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:53 am

Dear All,

Further to billdog's suggestion I do something similar when a surname is unknown but I just use the ? character, partly as it is very quick to type but also I find it the most obvious way to show an unknown value and when looking at a name list it can't be confused with an actual name.

Not a response to the original question but just a related idea. When searching the name list I find it easier for families to be grouped to together so when I have 2 or more unrelated families that share a surname I give the names an superscript number or character so that they are treated by Heredis and separate names e.g. Phillips¹ and Phillips². (Unfortunately as only 0-3 seemed to be understood in this form my the Heredis font recognition I sometimes have to be creative with this).

reesjel

Post by reesjel » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:21 am

I’m currently using a workaround as well.
However I would prefer the names to be optional instead of mandatory as well. If that’s a feature that could be added it would help me a lot. Especially those of us working on family trees that includes slavery, we’re lucky to find a name at all, having UNKNOWN or a ? just emphasizes the struggle to find any records.