Family Tree Magazine Software Reviews (2017)

Put your elbows on the counter and come and discuss genealogy, but also share your tips, your reactions to the news or let us discover your passions, your travels, your desires...
scgriff

Family Tree Magazine Software Reviews (2017)

Post by scgriff » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:48 am

I read this months FTM Genealogy Software reviews ... disappointed that Heredis wasn't mentioned.

From what I can see, Heredis has most of what I want ... Wonder why Heredis wasn't mentioned? What is the criteria? Is it popularity? Number of users? What about functionality? Or marketing?

Obviously, people reading FTM may go and try other programs mentioned if they are dissatisfied with the current one they are using. Or a newbie would read the article and decide to try one that they mention.

dmossfritch

Re: Family Tree Magazine Software Reviews (2017)

Post by dmossfritch » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:08 pm

Have not seen the FTM magazine's review as it has been a few years since I had a subscription. How does their review differ from the software reviews of TopTenReviews online for genealogy software?

At least the TopTenReviews identifies their 'update date' as three plus months ago. And, that explains why those reviews do not mention that Legacy was bought out by MyHeritage (company, software, and webinars too), or that both Legacy and RootsMagic have been without map links for a couple months due to a mismatch problem with the Bing maps API and the two software.

Sorry, I've been 'watching' the changes (along with appearance and disappearance) of genealogy software since the days of CPM+ operating system in the mid-1980s. The major changes have happened about a decade apart.

As for why Heredis was overlooked, might that be because the publication is North American centered? If I remember, Family Historian (UK genealogy software) was also overlooked during its first few years because it was not a North American based software.
Denise Moss-Fritch

HP Envy Phoenix 860-180st desktop
(Intel Core i7-6800 processor, 6th Gen quad-core [4.00GHz], 32GB RAM)

HP Envy 17t Laptop
(Intel Core i7-6700HQ 6th Gen quad Core [2.60Ghz], 16GB RAM)

iPad (iOS 11.2.2)

mike-en

Post by mike-en » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:49 pm

Cordialement.
Mike

using BSD softwares on PC
Do not give a man fish, teach him how to fish

scgriff

Post by scgriff » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:24 pm

See attached ...
Attachments
Desktop Genealogy Software.jpg
Desktop Genealogy Software.jpg (85.18 KiB) Viewed 8729 times

dmossfritch

Post by dmossfritch » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:57 am

Thanks, although I do see a couple of software listed as having Mac versions too that actually currently use emulators. Although both software are working on developing Mac versions. I would hope there was some review descriptions associated with this list of seven software.

In addition to the link Mike provided to the 10 PC genealogy software, that does include reviews, TopTenReviews offers a separate Mac genealogy software list:

http://www.toptenreviews.com/software/h ... -software/

On that Mac list, Heredis is number two.
Denise Moss-Fritch

HP Envy Phoenix 860-180st desktop
(Intel Core i7-6800 processor, 6th Gen quad-core [4.00GHz], 32GB RAM)

HP Envy 17t Laptop
(Intel Core i7-6700HQ 6th Gen quad Core [2.60Ghz], 16GB RAM)

iPad (iOS 11.2.2)

audrey_heredis
Site Admin

Post by audrey_heredis » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:34 am

scgriff wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:48 am
From what I can see, Heredis has most of what I want ... Wonder why Heredis wasn't mentioned? What is the criteria? Is it popularity? Number of users? What about functionality? Or marketing?
If Heredis company do not buy an ad space, the journalist can't write a article about the product... That's how they do and most of the magazines also do it.

scgriff

Post by scgriff » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:25 am

The reason I posted this was that I have tried the other programs. Each has their plus and minus. I just like the look and feel of Heredis over the others. Sure Heredis has its own plus and minus - every program does. I was just surprised Heredis ( my fav) wasn't listed!