Place Names

jeffjahn91

Place Names

Post by jeffjahn91 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:37 am

How do you handle it when you don't know the city name, only County, or just State for the United States? Why is it the state doesn't show up online?

SCPatriot

Re: Place Names

Post by SCPatriot » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:30 am

My work-around is to create a Places index similar to "? - County - ST" if that's all I know. You force the program to create the index by just entering the "?" for location, then filling in the popup window the way that you wish for it to show up.

An annoyance is placing an individual into a county in a distant state when there are numerous states having counties by that same name. You guessed it, the state is not indicated in the pull-down table, so you have to get there by trial and error. To make it worse, there are county names that are shared by more than a dozen states!

jan jasion

Post by jan jasion » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:59 pm

Dear Friends

I replaced my '?' with the next known element. So my place names looks like Harris County -- Harris County -- Texas -- US. But it displays on the charts as Harris County. If further information becomes available this can changed. Too many Harris Counties, simple add the state. So in the place box type in Harris County -- Texas. The place box will then
read Harris County -- Texas -- Harris County -- Texas -- US. But it will display as Harris County -- Texas. Unfortunately using a comma doesn't work as the machine transmit this as a - .

Anyway this is my way.

hope this helps

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:13 pm

Hi,

For further refinement, all locations' coordinates can be edited directly in the places index, you can use google maps to make sure you have the right coordinates when it comes to having too many counties with the same name for example.

However you will have to specify this somehow in the index by adding something like the state capitals to distinguish all these counties from one another.

Regards,