Moving information from Family Tree Maker to Heredis

Joel

Moving information from Family Tree Maker to Heredis

Post by Joel » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:13 pm

You don't mention how to transfer all the information one has already gathered on Family Tree Maker to your
Heredis program. Also, what is the cost in US dollars?
Thank you,
Joel

christinebsd
Site Admin

Re: Moving information from Family Tree Maker to Heredis

Post by christinebsd » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:50 pm

To transfer data from your old software to Heredis, you must first export in GEDCOM format, and then you will read this file and convert to Heredis.

To buy Heredis, you can get to the store of our site.
The MAC version is on sale since June 21, but the version for Windows will be released on July 4th ...
Christine
HEREDIS team

ianmcann64

Post by ianmcann64 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:23 am

Found out today that Ancestry are dropping FTM so now is the time to sort alternative desktop solution. If I export GEDCOM with media from FTM would it be correctly imported into Heredis with all media correctly attached?

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:21 pm

Hi,

A gedcom file is made out of text only, when exporting from FTM, you must make sure that there is an option to create a media folder (namely a folder with all your medias).
If all went well, you should end up with a gedcom file + a media folder.

If this is not the case then, you will have troubles getting your medias out of FTM.

As previously stated, regarding the gedcom format which is not a unified format,
some tags are only understood by softwares that produced them in the first place.
Other tags like "place tags" have different fields depending on different softwares.
Heredis will expect each field to be separated by commas, meaning if you have an empty field in your places, there should a comma + space + comma.
Other softwares will only export the data that they have without mentionning empty fields, this can lead to data being imported in different fields in Heredis than where it was in FTM.

The best way to find out is to try to import your gedcom in the trial version :
windows version :
http://www.heredis.com/en/heredis-2015- ... r-windows/

or mac version :
http://www.heredis.com/en/heredis-2015- ... 5-for-mac/

mike-en

Post by mike-en » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:01 pm

Recently received privatly about Medias export by Ancestry :
After just now reading multiple complaints on ancestry user forums, it appears that ancestry deliberately disables the features that would transfer media and documents. I'll either have to go back and upload every one of my photos into Heredis and search via Heredis online to find every document to attach to my tree or give up.
cheers ...
Cordialement.
Mike

using BSD softwares on PC
Do not give a man fish, teach him how to fish

mogulza

Post by mogulza » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:25 am

@Mike - I have no problem with having my media imported when importing an FTM generated GEDCOM file